Kids Today, Man

February 4th, 2013 | 3:43 pm | Daily News | 22 Comments

money team

“Money Crew,” no Mayweather

With the reminder that 50 Cent’s Get Rich or Die Tryin’ album just reached the ten-year mark since its release, people past their teenage years were all given cause to feel old today. Well, here’s another reason for life to flash before your eyes: Tyshawn Jones and Frankie Spears’ part in the 2012 Schleyer Video. (Note: Tyshawn Jones was three-years-old when Get Rich or Die Tryin’ came out.) Though the video is recent, a lot of the footage is already past history, at least when considering the rate at which kids in their early teens film these days. Anticipate west coast excursions that have yet to be released in video form.

Also, did T.J. pass the hypothetical “First New Yorker With Backside Noseblunt Down Handrail Capabilities” benchmark? (“New Yorker” in a five boroughs definition — Long Islanders and New Jerseyians don’t count as otherwise it would be a concession to the widely accepted theories of Chris Nieratko and Ian Reid regarding the origins of the best New York skaters.) Either way, both of these kids are really good, in a way that only recently-born skaters can be.

D’s come, we dump the diesel in battery acid.”

Comment by LUk
  • “kids today” rail, stairs, rail, stairs, rail, stairs, rail, stairs!!

February 4, 2013 @ 4:19 pm
  • Comment by callyougayonhot97
  • TJ is so sick, when he grows a little more and gets some more Power behind him its gonna be fucking insane
    this kid deserves to blow up , doesn’t talk shit, just shreds

February 4, 2013 @ 4:21 pm
  • Comment by bza
  • As long as I can still skate I like being old. When I was young I would’ve been envious or competitive with these kids, now I can just sit back and enjoy watching them shred. Kudos youngin’s

February 4, 2013 @ 6:29 pm
  • Comment by that Bronx nigga
  • u forgot to mention that Tyshawn Jones is from the most hated and realest Boro in NYC the mother fuckin BRONX baby…….. BX stand UP niggas get robbed for there cameras up here lol

February 5, 2013 @ 9:40 am
  • Comment by callyougayonhot97
  • i think staten island is the most hated, maybe just most forgoten

February 5, 2013 @ 10:38 am
  • Comment by Jake
  • Some good skating. No props to the editor though.

February 5, 2013 @ 2:43 pm
  • Comment by jeff
  • these guys are good, but too little kid style for me. I want some leg strength and trick selection, not stair and rail jumping – feel like Im watching knox and hernandez in a ny baker video

February 5, 2013 @ 8:53 pm
  • Comment by Capital P
  • All that supreme gear, at such a young age too.

February 5, 2013 @ 9:55 pm
  • Comment by roctakon
  • I liked this, should have edited it to two songs. 4 minn of any wayne song is a bit much, even this one…

February 5, 2013 @ 11:15 pm
  • Comment by Where my killa tape at?
  • Yeah, the whole ‘Stuntin Like My Daddy’ thing is so one dimensional.

February 6, 2013 @ 8:08 am
  • Comment by lavar Mcbride
  • Lets hope he dose not fallow me and aquil’s path to stardom.

February 6, 2013 @ 9:25 am
  • Comment by Queens
  • is still a part of Long Island you dumb nerdy lookin mothafucker

February 6, 2013 @ 10:02 am
  • Comment by Tom
  • I don’t wanna be THAT guy, but I am, so… This is West Coast skating. But TJ really is a good kid, humble and positive from what I’ve gathered seeing him at skateparks or a shop. Once he matures and stats approaching skating more creatively and on his own terms he’ll be someone special. As for right now, while he’s young, it’s just

February 6, 2013 @ 12:27 pm
  • Comment by Tom
  • I don’t wanna be THAT guy, but I am, so I’ll say it… This is West Coast skating. But TJ really is a good kid, humble and positive from what I’ve gathered seeing him at skateparks or shop. Once he matures and starts approaching skating more creatively and on his own terms he’ll be someone special. As for right now, while he’s young, it’s just a bit boring. But incredibly impressive on a difficulty perspective. As for the other kid, I haven’t run into him and I’m assuming the negative talk I have heard about him is equal parts haters and a result of his age– it’s hard not being a bit lame when you’re in your teens. I guess that’s what makes TJ even better. Still, it’d be nice to see a couple lines and not Berrics style hammers.

February 6, 2013 @ 12:33 pm
  • Comment by TheRuggedPicturePoser
  • Stop hating on these little kids. Of course they have little kid style, after all, they are little kids. A refined style will come with age, and if not, at least they went big. And in NY.

February 6, 2013 @ 1:14 pm
  • Comment by Philosopher
  • Hope they don’t both become overhyped kooks like the kids from Shorty’s did…

February 6, 2013 @ 1:32 pm
  • Comment by mighty mouse
  • what little kids aren’t trying to go big and do hammers? i think everyone who skates at one point or another thought that they needed to / wanted to go big.

anyone who’s seen TJ skate in person will attest that he’s got it pretty figured out for a young buck. Not to mention that for hammers he choses well. Its pretty impressive that a teenager on the younger end doesn’t have an excess of gay combos and current bullshit

just clean simple tricks

February 6, 2013 @ 2:05 pm
  • Comment by 2nd Class Citizen
  • Just read Niekrito’s theory on the best skaters from Ny being from NJ. This should be a topic of discussion on the Snack. So please, begin the discussion. P.S. Also, NJ Nets have much better Uniforms than the Brooklyn Nets.

February 6, 2013 @ 4:32 pm
  • Comment by tom
  • Definitely agree that the TJ in person does have it figured out, especially for a young kid. But, personally, me being old (in skateboard years), it’s just boring… I’m still hyped for him and excited to see him grow into his own. I’m def not hating on these young’ns.

February 7, 2013 @ 2:42 pm
  • Comment by Chip Van Slam
  • #TRENDWATCH2013….with special edition backwards trucks…

February 7, 2013 @ 9:55 pm
  • Comment by skater boy
  • white self props diaper boy

February 11, 2013 @ 11:21 am