With this past weekend’s announcement proclaiming Wes Kremer as Thrasher‘s “Skater of the Year,” there was an exhale of relief. For years, conspiracy theories roared about Deluxe-biased selections, or favoritism of those who were just-short-of-exclusively “Thrasher guys” (e.g. Wes had Transworld & Skateboard Mag covers this year, but not a Thrasher one.) No funny business, no tampering with the voting box — everything seemed right. May Sk8Mafia grow into the most successful yet indifferent-to-growth skateboard company to ever exist.
Something that could have prevented years of speculation on the S.O.T.Y. selection process is transparency. Who came second? Who landed fifth place? How many votes for Sinner did they count? Did my fill-in vote for J.B. Gillet go through?
As a result, we present you with the most transparent year-end awards in skateboard internet history. These serve no purpose than to commemorate our hyper-specified niches of interest within the skate world by affixing percentages to their coolness via you, the reader. Now, you can get to see how similar or different you view the world, art and love than the average QS visitor. Feel free to vote in as many or as few categories as possible. Winners will be presented with possibly a free drink if you bump into anyone with possession of a QS company card throughout 2015.
Best non-regular stance hardflip of the year?
- Lucas Puig - Switch Hardflip on Flat in Helas "Captains Attack" Clip (44%, 635 Votes)
- Nakel Smith - Nollie Hardflip on Flat on Hollywood Blvd. in "cherry" (31%, 447 Votes)
- Karim Bakhtaoui - Fakie Hardflip down Paris Le Dome Double-Set in "Endless Bummer" (26%, 376 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,458
Most inspirational Slicky Boy Facebook status update this year?
- "yo why everyone suddenly wants to be artsy it's corny as fuck" (47%, 490 Votes)
- "we all change like time but time doesn’t change it just goes on" (18%, 188 Votes)
- "i hate bitches who get star struck" (17%, 178 Votes)
- "make you’re journey what u want it to be and suffer the consequences" (10%, 104 Votes)
- "soon these ops are gona have to watch out i want someone to start a revaluation asap" (8%, 89 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,049
Static of the Year?
- Static 4 (Aaron Herrington 1st Part / Quim Last Part) (64%, 764 Votes)
- Static 5 (Kevin Tierney 1st Part / Jahmal Last Part) (36%, 431 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,195
Album of the year?
- Rich Gang (63%, 508 Votes)
- Honest (37%, 297 Votes)
Total Voters: 805
Producer of the year?
- Mustard (58%, 479 Votes)
- London (22%, 182 Votes)
- Metro Boomin' (19%, 160 Votes)
Total Voters: 821
#1 Thing Ruining Skateboarding in 2014?
- Shaped Boards & Instagram (32%, 421 Votes)
- "Everyone just talks about pants dude." (22%, 293 Votes)
- Alex Olson (14%, 189 Votes)
- That stupid website that says u can't wax 3 Up 3 Down + compared Gonz to Tyrone Olson & thinks theyre so fucking cool omg i hate that corny shit sooo much (10%, 138 Votes)
- Your friends pretending that meeting up at the L.E.S. Park will somehow result in a productive day (9%, 119 Votes)
- Johnny Wilson going HD (7%, 97 Votes)
- Palace (6%, 77 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,334
Part of the Year?
- Antoine Asselin - Dime: Lunch Break (27%, 405 Votes)
- Philly Santosuosso - OD Wavy (24%, 367 Votes)
- Pat "Sinner" Pasquale - Life Extension: Theatrix (18%, 276 Votes)
- Ben Sanchez - Girl: Mouse (18%, 272 Votes)
- Torey Goodall - Palace: Endless Bummer (13%, 196 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,516
Jam of the Year?
- Chris Brown - "Loyal" (100%, 661 Votes)
Total Voters: 661
Hottest Move in a QS Clip This Year?
- Tommy Cuba - Frontside Wallride w/ a Bottle of Moët (40%, 329 Votes)
- Josh Velez - Nollie Cab Switch Back Tail Columbus Circle Ledge (27%, 221 Votes)
- Alexander Mosley - Nollie Over the Rail @ the Yonkers American Flag Banks (19%, 159 Votes)
- Tyler Tufty - Switch Hardflip Virtual Reality Bump (14%, 116 Votes)
Total Voters: 825
The "Let's Get It: Thug Motivation 101" Award Winner For Extended Excellence?
- Jerry Fowler - Orchard: Stone Soup Part (40%, 369 Votes)
- Mike York - Gracias Skateboarding Part (39%, 358 Votes)
- Scott Kane - Comeback Part (Brovas Movement) (21%, 189 Votes)
Total Voters: 916
Hottest move of the year?
- Jake Johnson - Slappy 5050 Clipper (31%, 425 Votes)
- Lucas Puig - MACBA Instagram Trick (27%, 368 Votes)
- Jordan Trahan - Kickflip into the Washington Sq. Park Fountain (14%, 191 Votes)
- Max Palmer - Thread the Needle @ Dewey Handicap Ramp Rail (11%, 147 Votes)
- Jerome Campbell - Josh Kalis 360 Flip Impression in "Manhattan Days" (9%, 120 Votes)
- Tyshawn Jones - Frontside 5050 Police Plaza 16 (7%, 100 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,351
Skater of the Year?
- Pat "Sinner" Pasquale" (62%, 600 Votes)
- Matthew "Meatball" Perez (38%, 368 Votes)
Total Voters: 968