An Interview With Bryan From Dime

June 17th, 2015 | 6:24 am | Features & Interviews | 30 Comments

bryan-1

There are many unsung heroes in skateboarding. Local legends who never made it outside of their towns, skatepark builders who cede individual credit for the greater good, rogue bartenders who turn a blind eye to underage drinking at #skate #events are among them. But there’s one member of the skateboard family who truly never receives any credit: the warehouse guy. Where would Nyjah Houston be if not for the guy who physically takes his skateboards and Monster Energy memorabilia, and ships the box to him? Looking for a plank to drill eight holes into?

To give a glimpse of the skateboard-brand stock world, we hit up our Canadian friends at Dime, so they could grant us access to their always reliable and always smiling warehouse manager, Bryan.

+++++++

Tell us a bit about yourself Bryan. Where are you from? What was your upbringing like?

Hi, my name is Bryan. As Dime’s warehouse manager, I am a vital part of their supply chain process. I manage people, systems and make sure productivity targets are met. My goal is to make our customers happy. I love going out of my way to please strangers! I grew up in a small town called Kitchener, in Ontario, on a farm, as the only son of two very loving parents. My parents raised me to be a productive & happy person.

Did you always have a passion for stock? When did you first fall in love with packing boxes?

Growing up on a farm, I was always surrounded by little animals — cats, dogs, little chickens, & other meat products. Putting them in boxes really was a great source of pleasure for a young packer. Later, my love of packing evolved into packing more important things.

I believe the experience your customer receives when they order product from you should be flawless. If they ordered a size medium Dime Classic Tee, they should receive a medium size Dime Classic Tee. That is why I have developed the Dime Packaging Best Practices guide, as a tool that my team and I use to establish consistent packaging standards. By following these practices, I minimize cost and prevent delays, errors and damages. Failure to follow carton weight, size, or corrugated requirements could result in lost or damaged merchandise, delays, or additional charges and we’re not having any of that bullshit at Dime.

When did you move to Montreal? How did you come to work at Dime?

It was 2014, I was at a point in my life where I had to make some changes. Kitchener, being the hate crime capital of Canada, was a really negative environment and it forced me to make a choice. I moved to Montreal with my friend Jim, with hopes of a new beginning. We found our answer in the church [of Scientology]. I cannot overstate the value of Scientology’s teachings. We met the Dime guys at a “Cause of Suppression” class. They gave us a chance and hooked us up with entry level warehouse jobs at Dime. Through hard work and dedication, I climbed the corporate ladder and landed the warehouse manager position. Unfortunately, I had to fire Jim due to his alcoholism.

Dime is an internationally recognized fashion house. Were you ever intimidated by the brand’s prestigious reputation? There are a lot of responsibilities on your shoulders.

I understand that Dime has managed to create a niche for itself within the fashion industry, but I don’t really care about all that stuff. My job is moving stuff from point A to point B in the most effective way possible!

bryan-2

What’s an average day at the Dime office?

I usually start my day off with a freshly brewed coffee from Tim Horton’s. Walking into the warehouse, the smell of corrugated boxes waiting to be packed is always a treat. Then, for lunch, it’s either Tim Horton’s or Subway, depending on the sandwich of the day. The best thing about working at Dime is that I have full access to the warehouse at all times. Unlike when I worked for Amazon, where I would be limited with a 9-to-5 schedule, I can now work more hours than ever. Working is my life!

The boys told me you never skated before? Never? Not even as a kid? Do you ever still follow skating for work related reasons, or join the boys on the session on your days off to wax the ledges or something?

The marketing guys try to say I don’t skate, but I do. I skate to work every fucking day. They won’t let me come to their sessions because they say it’s best to keep our relationship strictly business related, which I totally understand. Please find attached a photo of my set-up! I would love to have a session with you!

bryan-3

Montreal has a pretty heavy party scene. I follow you on Instagram and remember an embarrassing instance when you lashed out at many of your colleagues. You did the right thing and apologized the next day though. My question is — is it ever hard to focus on work when there’s always a party going on? Do you ever get consumed by the party scene?

Thanks for the follow! I follow everyone back! Yes, I do have my faults, and I have had my fair share of challenges to overcome. I apologize to anyone I might’ve offended. Sometimes the pressures of my work life become overwhelming, especially when you throw in family issues…But lately, everything has been just great! I’m really looking forward to the new Dime drop on July 15th! The new stuff is looking awesome! I have ordered some special boxes that will be perfect for packing the amazing new hats. I couldn’t be more excited about the addition of size small to the collection! I’ve already pre-booked some t-shirts for my son Trevor!

Most stockrooms always have a radio playing throughout the day. What do you have jamming at the Dime office when you’re packing the boxes?

I really like Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, D12, & Korn. I enjoy music on a deep, almost kinetic, level, I think music is as much a part of me as packaging and logistics.

bryan-4

What’s next for you Bryan? Is Dime a company with a lot of upward mobility? Would you ever want to be in change of your own distribution, or manage an entire fulfillment center?

What do you mean by upward mobility? I’m already the manager of the whole warehouse. I got a full team under me. I got Pete. I got Matthew. I used to have Jim. I got full control of the shipping budget! What do you have? Over the top shipping prices? How do you think this makes your customers feel — you fucking piece of shit. Do you think the purple planet is not real? They’re gonna find you and there’s nothing you can do about it.

You skateboarders are all the same thinking you’re better than everyone, until you end up flipping burgers for a fucking living. How’s that for upward mobility? You and the Dime guys are just a bunch of kooks. See you in a couple years when you’re making me a Whopper. I don’t give a da,m. This whole thing is a trap and we’re all going to die. Are you trying to say you still don’t see the purple planet. Bullshit. Just like most of the shit on your site. But I love your edits, I really do, and your “Trendwatch” series is amazing. Anyways, what happened to the trendwatch series?

Thanks to the Dime staff for allowing Bryan to take time out of his busy day to chat with us!

Comment by PeeWee Longway
  • Worst QS content I’ve ever seen

June 17, 2015 @ 6:58 am
  • Comment by jaws knees
  • bryan from dime is just a stock photo guy with the dime hat photoshopped

June 17, 2015 @ 7:44 am
  • Comment by Yung Necessities
  • Gonna need guy’s insta if any sense is to be made of this.

June 17, 2015 @ 8:04 am
  • Comment by keith
  • yeah…this was just weird.

June 17, 2015 @ 9:02 am
  • Comment by Mark T.
  • You guys probably think Huck Finn is racist too.

June 17, 2015 @ 9:49 am
  • Comment by cooper
  • fxcking loved it, on ya bryan!

June 17, 2015 @ 10:10 am
  • Comment by the mansion-having sauna soaker
  • yusssssss

June 17, 2015 @ 10:44 am
  • Comment by the mansion-having sauna soaker
  • awesome

June 17, 2015 @ 10:44 am
  • Comment by D
  • Haha great!

June 17, 2015 @ 10:49 am
  • Comment by Joe F
  • I think this is supposed to be like an Onion satire article?

June 17, 2015 @ 1:27 pm
  • Comment by I miss the old QS
  • This super unsubtle satire is corny. The content was better when Snackman had no money and would do write-ups on his friends. Like that Switch Mike tribute, funny as fuck.

June 17, 2015 @ 1:45 pm
  • Comment by rad bees
  • The fact people are missing this joke is so disappointing to me.

June 17, 2015 @ 1:50 pm
  • Comment by Rudeboy wasted
  • Oh the irony! Most classic skateboardinterview everrr

June 17, 2015 @ 1:52 pm
  • Comment by lu
  • Fuck you for your censorship and inability to take criticism. I’ve been a fan of QS since 2007 and I’ve supported the website through hundreds of dollars of apparel purchases. I even have the fucking og t-shirt with the grey snackman logo in the front. Just like I’ve commended your work and forwarded your stuff to friends, I also have the right to talk shit when things are wack. Your website content has become dull and unoriginal, the interviews and the top 5 parts are played out, the Quote of the Week isn’t even a funny or wild quote anymore, it’s just some fucking screencap. Your clips were way better when Miles, Mooney, Ty, and Thando were skating. I fucking hate watching Matt Perez skate. Fuck you.

June 17, 2015 @ 2:30 pm
  • Comment by forrest edwards
  • how did people miss the joke so hard?

June 17, 2015 @ 2:41 pm
  • Comment by YouWillSoon
  • Bryan, there’s younger readers who frequent this website! I appreciated your prompt and efficient shipping practices, but gosh darn it, watch the language!

June 17, 2015 @ 2:44 pm
  • Comment by mikefuck
  • the joke it is there somewhere. find it fiends. find it!

June 17, 2015 @ 3:14 pm
  • Comment by keith
  • I got the joke. It just wasn’t funny.

June 17, 2015 @ 4:38 pm
  • Comment by hick
  • SCIENTOLOGY

SHOUTS TO BERRA AND JIM GRECO, MANG!!!

Quartersnacks, you crazy for this one!!!!!

DIME STAMP

June 17, 2015 @ 6:05 pm
  • Comment by Dustin
  • If you dont get this then you don’t get Dime.

June 17, 2015 @ 10:54 pm
  • Comment by jackson
  • “I enjoy music on a deep, almost kinetic, level, I think music is as much a part of me as packaging and logistics”

June 18, 2015 @ 4:24 am
  • Comment by andy h
  • best. interview. ever.

June 18, 2015 @ 10:26 am
  • Comment by another kid wearing huf classics
  • he seems kinda chill

June 18, 2015 @ 11:12 am
  • Comment by Crilly
  • Where is Switch Mike? Keep it lo fi ; 0

June 18, 2015 @ 11:22 am
  • Comment by RockWell
  • All this fuss over a font…. Soft goods.

June 18, 2015 @ 12:47 pm
  • Comment by lavarintrilogy
  • is greco a scientologist?

June 18, 2015 @ 6:26 pm
  • Comment by dominic
  • haha am i the only dude who watched the clip and was left speechless at how hard motherfuckers get down at that park in Montreal?! I mean shit every time ive been to NYC ive seen some bum shoot up but i aint never seen some dude fuckin a thai (mexican? Phillopino?) prosititue in broad daylight!

June 18, 2015 @ 9:39 pm
  • Comment by Chibi chibi
  • I don’t know why people are tripping so hard this interview was funny af. Also to the guy above, I’m always impressed/disgusted every time I see more footage from Peace Park. The guy fucking that chick in broad daylight while looking at them was much needed comic relief following the last clip I saw in a Dime video where I had to question whether or not that guy was dead after those people choked him out. Good interview Bryan keep up the good work!

June 19, 2015 @ 4:10 am
  • Comment by chill
  • lol this is like the time people were crying at that post about not waxing that 3 stairs on the west side

like the shirt says “i love skateboarding but i hate skateboarders”

fucking relax guys

June 19, 2015 @ 10:14 am
  • Comment by FaucBoy
  • So, is Dime a life style brand or something? I don’t get why they do all the shipping. Some one explain this.

And, who is Joe Valdez? Is he a sciencetology leader?

June 20, 2015 @ 9:18 am